Monday, September 23, 2013

Born in Darkness by Suzanne Brockmann

      There have been books in my past, I never finished. Three were survival island type book: Robinson Crusoe, Julie of the Wolves, and Island of the Blue dolphins. The other three: Moby Dick, The Count of Montecristo, and Crime and Punishment.
     Sad, to say this book goes on that list. I read seventy-five pages of a three hundred plus novel. A few tweaks, and I really could have enjoyed this book.
     To begin with the use of a Prologue or chapter that sets up the changes and current way of life in the U.S.A..  Set up the world for the reader, grab and pull them in.
     Next, the use of cursing. I don’t mind cursing, if it’s used in a way that is appropriate to the character, fits the situation, but it can’t slow down the narrative, like it did in this book. Anything that takes me out of the story world, is very bad.
     The final reason I couldn't get into this story, which sounded promising when I read the book summary, is that it feels like the author couldn't make up her mind whether the story should be a traditional romance, or a paranatural thriller. I have read authors who can successfully blend the supernatural with romance just fine. This one at points feels like I’m in romance novel and other times in the story advertised.
     I won’t read any other of her books. So disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment