Sunday, January 11, 2015

The House of Gaian by Anne Bishop

This is the third and final book in The Tir Alain. The first is The Pillars of the World.

     I liked the first two installments of this book. I gave up after finishing about a quarter this one. I debated for a bit on trying to get back into it, but it began to feel like I would be reading it because I had to, like a literature class assignment and I decided it was best to move on, and put this into my small pile of I couldn't finish it books.
     I finally realized my issue was the lack of any sort of interesting story line, for the most part. Occasional story bits that progressed the tale a tad. But to me, it just seemed to be a slow progression of the characters, moving toward the final battle between good and evil. I really think this book should have been half its size, and a good chuck of it cut out.
     I don't have an issue with books that don't have a lot of adventure in them. But the story plot has to move, things of interest have to be going on at some level, and this just seemed to get stuck in the mud. To be honest, I think two books would have sufficed over three.
     Usually, enjoy her books, but again this was just stalled. Still, the first two books were good, I just wouldn't expect the third to be great.
     Anne Bishop's Black Jewel Books, and Ephemera books are good reads too.

No comments:

Post a Comment