Sunday, June 22, 2014

Written in Red by Anne Bishop

I have enjoyed and read almost all of her previous works, still need to read the last Pillars of the World trilogy book. So I got interested in trying her Other series, and sad to say this is book number eight, I have tried and will never finish.
     The idea for the world where humans are not on the top of the food-chain and have to share the world with shapeshifters, who take on one animal form and a human one, was interesting. The idea of a blood scribe, in this world was intriguing. The start of the book began to draw me but the further I went, I kept struggling to want to read the  book some more.
     I tried again and again to become fully immersed with this new world and six chapters later, 132 pages to be exact, I decided to move on.
     I think my main problem is connecting with Meg who is center character in this tale. The prologue was good but Meg needed to start in the compound and let the reader see what kind of life she had, really see it, not just in memories, but actually. The reader needed to follow Meg's escape into freedom, then have the book continue to where it started.
     Plus, this tale seemed to drag, having it's moments, but slow from the other books I have read from hers. Keep in mind, I don't need shock and awe to find a story interesting, it just has to pull me into the world, have characters I can relate to on some level and care about, this book falls sway short of what I expected. I was so disappointed.
     I can't recommend this story but any of her others are good reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment