Saturday, August 31, 2013

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (movie)

     I have read all the books up to date in this series, so I was curious about the film.

     A lot of critics don't seem to really like this film, but I thought it was well adapted, keeping for the most part, the spirit of the story. Certain aspects of the story were changed to keep the story rolling smoothly on the big screen. One doesn't have to read the book to enjoy the film. It's worth seeing.
     I do have a few issues about this film. For one, Magnus Bane is creepy gay, at least in my opinion. In the book he's flamboyant, but pulls it off well. Once I saw the guy in the film, he did seem a little more like the Magnus Bane in my head, but not so creepy like. Jonathon Rhys Meyers, surprised me as a bad guy. He can do bad, well. Ok, that was not an issue, just an added comment. But the cool things in the book, are for the most part left put of the movie. Perhaps, this should have been adapted for the small screen and made into a mini-series?
     The movie just gives you a taste of the Shadowhunter World. If you haven't read the books, then I suggest reading them. You get a much more strange and detailed world. Deeper character details, too. The interesting things, weird things, that the film leaves out.
    Still a much better adaptation, than The Hunger Games. Pleasantly surprised.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment