Friday, December 14, 2012

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

     For a book that got at least one major award, and a lot of accolades, I expected a much better read. Though this book was not a bad read, it is not one of my favorite or thought provoking reads, it is still worth checking out.
     I will give credit to the author for his innovated choice of narrator, Death. But here is where I have problems. For one, Death does not mind spoilers, I do. Though in this book, the spoilers did not really destroy the story, but really, who wants to know how something ends, before it ends.
     Another issue was that unlike a journal or diary, this story jumps around past, present, and future, hence, the spoiler parts. It also takes the reader out of the story, just a tad bit. I hate that.
     Thirdly, I realize the Death perspective and his personal “jobs” had a purpose of showing the atrocities of war and how cruel and inhuman the Nazi’s were, but it again, takes the reader outside of the story, which irks me just a little bit.
     This story probably would have been better if it was shorter. It is over five hundred pages. It took me over one hundred pages to start getting into the story, and about half way through it started to get a whole lot better.
     Was nice to have a story about World War Two, that was from the German side, that was not based on real people, such as Schindler’s List. 

No comments:

Post a Comment