Tuesday, November 20, 2018

The Turn by Kim Harrison


This is the prequel to The Hollows or Rachel Morgan series. The series was completed before this book was written. The first in the series is Dead Witch Walking.
     It is rare for me to find a book that I get excited for. When I found out The Turn was out, I had to read this.
     Since the prequel takes place decades before The Hollow series, you don’t have to read it first, to enjoy The Hollows. Though the way this story connects to some of The Hollows characters, it doesn’t hurt to read it first, if you haven’t started the series.
     When I first read the summary to Dead Witch Walking, I wasn’t sure about checking out the book. Kim Harrison was an author suggestion since I read Jim Butcher, and after deciding to overlook the whole tomato virus, The Hollows series was good.
     What I like about this prequel, is it makes the absurd sounding tomato plague make perfect sense. The right blend of interesting characters, some old and some new if you know The Hollows series. I really enjoyed this prequel, even though, I will not spoil anything, but it does have a scene that made me emotional. I won’t say happy or sad.
     I story is truly good and well written when I truly get invested in it. When I laugh, cry, hold my breath in anticipation of what could happen next to the character or characters. That line or detail that makes those characters come alive, and those details that make you say, hey, I do that, or that’s like me.
     Kim Harrison creates a world that is believable, and once again, she doesn’t disappoint at all. She engineers one whopper of a roller coaster ride. The right amount of twists and turns, perfectly balanced out. It’s worth the invested time to read it.


No comments:

Post a Comment