Saturday, August 1, 2015

The Magicians by Lev Grossman (audio book)

     I discovered this book, through a website browse on SYFY and new and coming shows. It sounded interesting and I had read The Codex by this author and thought I'd give it a chance. I found that the library had all the series on audio so I went for it.
     If I had read this book, I doubt I would have finish it. I wasn't expecting a sweeping epic but a good story, I was expecting and sadly this book failed miserably,
     I wasn't surprised at The Harry Potter mentions now and then. But this story seemed to make a buffet of other fantasy tales. A small taste here a way bigger portion of The Chronicles of Narnia. Which he twisted into a dark parallel world of magic and bits of perversion.
     It had its moments of humor or witty commentary. But for five years of magic school, there was very little magic. A lot of cursing, jumping to the next school year, and sex. The language for the most part hindered the flow of the tale. Oh, and the magic land, could have been so much more but it seems to be the place where the big battle comes to play and a hero recoups and goes on a basic quest.
     The book could have been so much more, but was a failed attempt of minimal imagination and creativity. Such a disappointment.
     The narrator had a nice and pleasant voice though.


No comments:

Post a Comment