Saturday, June 22, 2013

Man of Steel : Soars

     As a kid, I watched a lot of the Christopher Reeves Superman. I never read the comics. Watched some of Smallville, so when Superman Returns came along, I wanted to see it. What a disappointment. Then one day at the theater, I saw a movie poster for Man of Steel, and I was excited. Even more so when I found out Henry Cavill, who I first came to know in The Tudors, and I was more hopeful of a good film.

     I am glad to say that I wasn't disappointed. I enjoyed the way that they weaved the present and the past to tell the story. A good villain, portrayed well too. I nice upgrade to the Superman suit. A Lois Lane who can handle herself, and yet still need to be rescued from time to time. A Superman, who acts like Superman. Morals, gentleman, not like Superman Returns. Plus, a Superman who has that good looking but soft complexion and can pull off the slightly nerdy news geek look. About time someone did it right. The only issues I had issues with was lack of creative fight scenes, that were a tad too long. How many buildings and structures can one crash through? Plus, a wasted opportunity too relive a little tension in the big fight scene when Superman smacks into the Work Site Accident Sign, the two numbers could have fallen laving the zero on the sign when he stood up. I have a feeling that was edited out. When used right, humor can be a good thing, take Shakespeare for example. Still, I really enjoyed it. Well done, and the 3-D was a nice and well used plus. Worth seeing in the theater.



No comments:

Post a Comment