Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Last Enchantment by Mary Stewart

This is the last book in the Arthurian trilogy. The first book is The Crystal Cave.

     I am a fan of King Arthur lore. I found this trilogy by accident as I was browsing a bookstores shelves. I thought I'd give it a chance. I'm glad I did. I have read several different stories surrounding King Arthur, and those characters of his world.
     The narrator in this book is Merlin. I love seeing things through his eyes. This trilogy does a wonderful job of making Merlin human, and not so much of a magical being, though he does have magic. This is the story of   Merlin's adventures as an old man, leaning toward retirement from Camelot. Stewart does a good job of balancing the everyday affairs with not so everyday occurrences in Merlin's life. Merlin's world comes to life, with a wonderful balance of using snatches from the Arthurian legend and making them all her own. A must read for any King Arthur fan, and a great read for anyone just because.

No comments:

Post a Comment